Sunday, March 29, 2015

Hoping for the best

As I mentioned in my last post, I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia last year.  This came after nearly 5 years of unexplained medical issues (one of mt neurologists used the phrase "perplexing constellation of symptoms," not the best thing to hear).  I've had severe migraines, memory loss, tremors, aphasia, fatigue and a marked loss of cognitive function in addition to muscle and joint pains.  Some days are good, some days are bad, most days are some combination of both.

I've been learning to cope with all of this in the last year, trying to adjust to what is my "new normal" and learn how to get the most function out of each day.  I'm making progress, but still have moments where I mourn deeply for what I've lost.  Acceptance is coming in bits, the low times are less frequent, but it's still scary when I have a bad lapse.

To make things even more interesting, I've had consistent issues getting one of my prescriptions refilled in a timely manner for the last 8 months or so.  I've been taking cymbalta since last January, to help with the fibro and hopefully keep all of my symptoms on an even keel.  It mostly works but comes with some less than great side effects and EXTREMELY bad withdrawal problems when I miss or am late on a dose.  Because of this I've made the decision to stop taking this stuff.  I'll be weening off it for the next 6 weeks or so.

So here is where I need some help.  If I am acting flaky or spacey, if I don't follow through on something we talk about, please don't take it personally.  In all likelihood I don't remember the conversation or am having trouble finding my words.  I might act oddly or do some strange things, I assure you it's a lot more disturbing for me than it is for you.  I will eventually be ok, but I might need to be reminded of that and I could probably use a hug.

I just need some extra patience right now and possibly some help operating heavy equipment  :)


No comments: